2018 TT series – dates (and request for volunteers)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Joyce Dan Joyce 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dan Joyce Dan Joyce 
    Keymaster

Here are the times and dates for this year’s time trial series, which we’re running jointly with Scarborough Paragon. They’re most on Wednesday evenings and Sunday mornings from April to August, with the odd event on different night where it’s part of the interclub series.

As usual, it’s £3 per rider per event, payable on the night, and you need to sign on at least 15 mins before the start (the times listed below). You can take part on any roadworthy bike except a recumbent or an electric bike. Minimum age is 12, and riders under 18 need a signed parental consent form (available at the start of the event).

There will be a number of competitions running throughout the season.

Handicap competition
    This will take place at the 6 solo events at Snainton (some of which are also interclub events). Everyone from RCC who competes will be given a handicap by me. That’s a time bonus (or occasionally penalty, if you’re really fast) based on your previous form on this course. The first five finishers, on handicap time, get points (5, 4, 3, 2 or 1). At the end of the season, the points are added up in your best five handicapped events. It’s worth doing all the events at Snainton that you’re able to if you’re going for the points, as even though only five will count, you can then afford to drop points in a couple. Having said that, it’s quite possible to win this competition with only four rides. It’s possible (although less likely) to win it with three rides. Note that because your handicap will also depend on your bike, you can win this series on a mountain bike, having never raced before. You’re actually more likely to do well if you haven’t raced before, as your times will come down faster as you improve. In the unlikely event that there’s a tie on points at the end of the season, the winner will be decided by the fastest 10-mile handicap time achieved.

Time trial champion
    There are three competitions – Overall, Women, and Junior (under 18). You’re eligible for any competition that you qualify for, so a junior woman could theoretically win all three trophies. This isn’t very likely, although it’s fairly plausible that a strong junior could also win the women’s trophy, or that a fit male junior could also win the overall. We’ll see. It hasn’t happened yet. All three competitions are based on average speed. Your fastest FIVE events will averaged out. Highest average speed wins.
    There are some restrictions for counting events:
    – at least one of them must be a hilly TT (which means Hackness, Burton Fleming, the Mt17 or the Mt24)
    – for the Overall, at least one must be a 25
    – no more than one counting event (although you don’t have to ride there at all) may be on the Malton/Pickering course (which is a bit faster)
    So it’s possible to qualify for these competitions with just five rides, although the more rides you do, the more you increase your chances of doing a flyer. Last year the requirement was only four rides, but I reckon that the bigger calendar makes five rides a viable amount. All you need to do is ride five events, one of them hilly – and, for the Overall, one of them a 25.

Scalby 5×5 series
    Paragon run a junior competition for this series. We’ll be running a women’s competition alongside this, aimed mainly at new riders. It will operate the same as the Snainton handicap competition, except it’ll be your best five results from five events.

Everyone club member who takes part in the TT series will be expected to volunteer at a MINIMUM of one event. (Two events would be best.) Only members who do volunteer will be eligible for any of the competitions.

The person listed as the timekeeper doesn’t have to hold the watches, but will be jointly responsible (with Dan) in finding enough other volunteers for the event.

The events in blue are the ones we’re hosting. But you can help out at others too, e.g. the 5×5 series

*Sign on AT LEAST 15 mins before start
    ** Regional event, enter in advance
    W & J = women & junior comps. IC = interclub

null

Here’s a PDF if you want to download it.

Profile photo of Paul Marr Paul Marr 
    Participant

I am willing to assist on three dates: 25th April, 9th May, 16th May, Paul Marr.

Keymaster

Thanks, Paul. That’s great.

Profile photo of Paul Lane Paul Lane 
    Participant

Hi Dan. Great to see so many events. I’ll double check sonias shifts to confirm the events i’ll be able to help at and get back to you. Paul lane

Profile photo of Simon Walker Simon Walker 
    Participant

Hi Dan,
    I can help with Hackness on 25th April.
    Si

Keymaster

Cheers, Simon.

Profile photo of Paul Lane Paul Lane 
    Participant

Hi Dan

I’ve replied in another thread with some availability but here it is in here aswell:

16th May – Malton
    4th July – Irton
    18th July – Hackness (I’d need to firm this up in a months time to be certain)
    Lots of clashes this year with Sonia’s shifts so riding opportunities are also strictly limited. That’s my excuse anyway!

Cheers
    Paul

Keymaster

Cheers, Paul.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2018 Richardsons Cycle Club

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account