MTB Evening Race Hunmanby 2

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Joyce Dan Joyce 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Bryden Simpson Bryden Simpson 
    Participant

Evening MTB 24th May Hunmanby Hall
    Race Suitable for most abilities (over 11s and adults)
    Track rollable / Helpers appreciated
    Register from 18.15. Race starts 18.45
    Go race registered so no bc license needed

PLEASE ENTER Via British Cycling ONLINE Link
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/180449/Hunmanby-Hall-Off-Road-2

Profile photo of Dan Joyce Dan Joyce 
    Keymaster

Some great XC racing at Hunmanby Hall last night. The track was running dry and fast, and Simon Walker had included some extra bits to keep us on our toes.

Juniors set off first for their 30 minute race, with a gap of a minute or two to the seniors. We had a hard sprint into the singletrack, then our 45-minute race spread out a bit. I had a good battle with Stu Jackson – he’d take time out of me on the descent because he’s a better technical rider, and I’d take it back on the long straight because I’m a TTer. It was great to be racing after more than a month sidelined by injury.

Cavan Walker’s return to riding after a month off was more triumphant than mine: he won, with Adam Ward chasing hard for second. John Galway as third. Among the juniors, Ozzy Stringer was first, with Harry and Jack Marcroft second and third. Katy Cawthorn was fastest (only!) lady.

It was an easy-going race that you could do at whatever level you wanted, making it ideal for newbies. Whatever your level, there was someone to compete against, even if it was just yourself versus the track. No elbows-out jostling, no swearing (except when I hit my bad shoulder on a tree…). You could do it an any off-road capable bike; we had at least one cross bike, as well as a full-on fat bike. It’s not a technical track either, unless you hit the trickier bits at speed, so you don’t need mad skills to get round. Roadies could do this and I’m sure they’d like it. Mountain bikers who aren’t racers could still enjoy the chance to nail certain sections of the track.

The only downside was the low turnout, which I can’t account for: it’s fun, friendly, off-road racing, that anyone aged 12+ could enjoy, and it’s on our doorstep. Next race is Thursday 28th June. Save the date. Get entered. And come along and have a blast.

Thanks to Simon Walker for sorting the track and taking photos (see Facebook), Katie Cawthorn for hosting, Tilly Cawthorn for the drinks and snacks, Bryden Simpson for organising, and Pam and Richard(?) for lap-counting.

RESULTS
    1 Cavan Walker (8 laps)
    2 Adam Ward (8)
    3 John Galway (8)
    4 Dan Joyce (8)
    5 Stuart Jackson (8)
    6 Paul Lane (7)
    7 Martin Aston (7)
    8 Brett Baker (7)
    9 Jason MacAleese (6)

Ladies
    1 Katy Cawthorn (5)

Juniors
    1 Ozzy Stringer (5)
    2 Harry Marcroft (5)
    3 Jack Marcroft (5)
    4 Andrew Prole (5)
    5 Henry Baker (4)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2018 Richardsons Cycle Club

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account